Healthy Sloppy Joes Recipe
These Healthy Sloppy Joes are just as good as the traditional version, but much better for you.
Prep Time15 minutes mins
Cook Time20 minutes mins
Total Time35 minutes mins
Course: Main Course
Keyword: healthy, sloppy joes
Servings: 8 sandwiches
- 1 pound of ground turkey you can replace with ground beef as well
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of sweet potato puree
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 1/2 orange bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 can of tomato paste
- 1/2 can of tomato sauce
- 1 cup of ketchup
- 1/4 cup of mustard
- 2 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of chipotle salsa you can find it in the Hispanic section of your local grocer
- Salt taste
- Pepper to taste
- Chopped lettuce and pico de gallo to top it.
- 8 Whole wheat sandwich thins or regular hamburger buns if you prefer.
Brown the ground turkey with all of the spices, and then drain the grease from the pan.
Add all of the vegetables and cook over medium heat.
Once they are cooked down, add the tomato paste, tomato sauce, ketchup, and mustard.
Let simmer for 3-5 minutes, and then add the sweet potato puree, the chipotle sauce, and the Worcestershire sauce.
Mix well, and let cook for 8 minutes. Agrega el pure de camote, el chipotle y la salsa inglesa.
Serve on the sandwich thins, topped with pico de gallo and lettuce.
Calories: 150kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 488mg | Potassium: 394mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 5080IU | Vitamin C: 24.3mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1.4mg