This healthy sloppy joes recipe is not only delicious, but it is good for you too. Your kids won’t even know that it is good for them!
Para Leer En Espanol, Haz Click Aqui.
Sloppy Joes are similar to a type of food that we have in Mexico, called picadillo. One main difference is that picadillo is made with diced potatoes and peas, whereas Sloppy Joes are sweeter and can include a variety of veggies to make it more healthy.
In Mexico, we tend to eat picadillo with tortillas or tostadas. Sloppy joes, on the other hand, are prepared as a sandwich and are often served with potato chips or other side dishes. In any case, sloppy joes are a fast, easy, and delicious meal that everyone seems to love.
This sloppy joes recipe is similar in concept to many other recipes that you can find online, but it is different as well because I love to add fresh vegetables and spices, and of course, being from Mexico, I like to add my own spicy touch by including some chipotle salsa.
One of the best parts about this recipe is that you can make it year-round. Whether it is during the cold winter, in your home, or during the summer on a picnic. Now, being as popular as it is, you can find sloppy joes en restaurants and at stores, but homemade is always best so that you can control the ingredients.
For this sloppy joes recipe, you will use delicious natural ingredients that you will feel good about sharing with your family members.
There isn’t much more to say about this delicious recipe. Even though it is really healthy, kids love it! My 18 month old had three servings the last time I made it.
Adults also love it, because it is truly delicious. I hope that you enjoy it as much as my family and I do. Let me know in the comments below how it turns out.
Great Side Dishes To Go Along With Sloppy Joes
- Homemade Extra Crispy Onion Rings
- Fried Pickles Extra Crispy Dill Pickles
- Guacamole Recipe Homemade Authentic Mexican Version
- Charro Beans Authentic Mexican Recipe
- Bacon, Cheddar, and Chipotle Corn Dip The Perfect Appetizer
Healthy Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 1 pound of ground turkey you can replace with ground beef as well
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of sweet potato puree
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 1/2 orange bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 can of tomato paste
- 1/2 can of tomato sauce
- 1 cup of ketchup
- 1/4 cup of mustard
- 2 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of chipotle salsa you can find it in the Hispanic section of your local grocer
- Salt taste
- Pepper to taste
- Chopped lettuce and pico de gallo to top it.
- 8 Whole wheat sandwich thins or regular hamburger buns if you prefer.
- Brown the ground turkey with all of the spices, and then drain the grease from the pan.
- Add all of the vegetables and cook over medium heat.
- Once they are cooked down, add the tomato paste, tomato sauce, ketchup, and mustard.
- Let simmer for 3-5 minutes, and then add the sweet potato puree, the chipotle sauce, and the Worcestershire sauce.
- Mix well, and let cook for 8 minutes. Agrega el pure de camote, el chipotle y la salsa inglesa.
- Serve on the sandwich thins, topped with pico de gallo and lettuce.