Para Leer en Español Haz Click Aqui.
This version of Orange Chicken will amaze you! It has the perfect balance of sweet, sour, and spicy, and it pairs perfectly with white fried rice or noodles. You definitely don’t want to pass on this one!
Last year we went on a family vacation to Disney World, and all I can say is that it was so wonderful and fun! During our vacation, my husband and I were able to escape for a day to go to Epcot, which is one of the 4 Disney parks in Orlando.
If you have never been to Epcot, it is basically a park that is dedicated to different cultures from around the world. There you can find and try food and learn about traditions from different parts of the world.
Of course while we were there we went to Mexico, Germany, Ireland, and China – which is where we had some of the most delicious orange chicken that I have tried! Today’s recipe is based on the orange chicken that we tried at Epcot, and let me tell you, this is much better than the orange chicken that you can buy at Panda Express!
This orange chicken recipe takes a little bit of time to make, but it is worth it in the end, because nothing beats homemade! The most difficult part is breading the chicken, but you will be happy you took the time to do it, and everyone – old and young – will love them. These are so great, because they always turn out nice and crispy.
The delicious sauce for this orange chicken can be done in minutes and you can determine how spicy you want it. If you have young kids that are going to be eating, you might not want to add the chili sauce.
You start by heating the sesame oil and sauteing one clove of chopped garlic and some chopped green onion. You will know that they are almost ready when your entire kitchen is filled with the delicious flavors that you are cooking.
Check out the recipe below for the rest of the ingredients and instructions and be sure to let me know how it turned out! I hope that you agree that this is the best Orange Chicken recipe ever!
Orange Chicken – Better than Panda Express
For the Chicken
- 1-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small bit sized pieces and seasoned with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- 3/4 cup of corn starch combined with a pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup of wheat flour combined with a pinch of salt
- 2 eggs beaten with salt and pepper
- Vegetable or canola oil for frying.
For the Orange Sauce
- 1 1/2 cup of fresh orange juice or from a bottle
- Zest from one lemon
- 3/4 cup of chicken stock
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of sesame seed oil
- 2 green onions chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup of ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of corn starch
- 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- 1 Tablespoon chili sauce optional
- salt to taste
For the Chicken
- Heat the oil that you will use to fry in a deep pot or a fryer.
- First cover each piece of chicken in the corn starch.
- Next dip in the egg mixture.
- Finally coat in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Fry until golden brown and put in a bowl with a paper towel.
- Set aside
For the Orange Sauce
- Heat the sesame seed oil over medium heat with the green onion and garlic and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add the orange juice and lemon zest and bring to a slow boil for about 2 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, the vinegar, 1/2 cup of chicken stock, ground ginger, chili sauce (optional), and the brown sugar and stir.
- Separately, in a small bowl, stir together the remaining chicken stock with the corn starch and once combined, add to the sauce.
- Mix everything well, and let it simmer until it has thickened.
- Season with more salt or sugar depending on the taste.
- Toss together with the chicken, add sesame seeds on top and enjoy!