This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #NuttyForTheHolidays #CollectiveBias
Everyone in my family has different foods that are their favorites. My youngest son loves pasta, my oldest son loves lasagna, my husband loves tostadas, and I love tacos. With that said, there is one thing that we can all agree on – dessert is our favorite – especially when chocolate and peanut butter is involved!
There are some foods that you can really only eat at certain times of the year and for specific holidays, but there are others that are delicious year round, like these Peanut Butter and Chocolate Swirl Brownies. These brownies are really easy to make and they look great too! The combination of peanut butter and chocolate is something that we all love and we can never get enough of these!
I have made these in the past, but this time I decided to add something extra to give it even more of a peanut butter flavor – can you guess what it is?
That’s right – NUTTER BUTTER cookies! Growing up in Mexico I really had never tried these until a few years ago – but I have to say that I love them and that is why I incorporated them into this recipe. NUTTER BUTTER cookies are perfect to eat alone as a snack, or to use in these brownies, and I am sure that they would be great in other recipes too! You can find them at Walmart in the cookie section.
The basic concept of this recipe is simple – you just put down one layer of the chocolate brownie batter.
Next you add a few spoonfuls of the peanut butter filling, then another layer of the chocolate brownie batter. To give it the distinctive “swirl” look, you then grab a fork or a knife and gently swirl the top layer with the peanut butter layer and then put it in the oven and bake. The end result is pretty cool looking!
You can also add some homemade frosting if you want to – I didn’t do it this time, but the simple recipe is included below.
These brownies are sure to be a hit the next time you have to come up with a delicious dessert to take to a party or other get-together. They are great for any occasion – we are planning on taking some to my son’s next soccer game to share as an after game snack!
What is your favorite kind of dessert? Let me know in the comments below!
Peanut Butter and Chocolate Swirl Brownies
For the Brownie Batter
- 3/4 Cups of Flour
- 1 Pinch of Salt
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup of applesauce
- 1/3 cup of cocoa powder
For the Peanut Butter Filling
- 1 ounce of cream cheese
- 12 NUTTER BUTTER cookies
- 1/4 cup of peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
For the Frosting (Optional)
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1/2 tablespoon of water
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, the cocoa powder, the salt, and the flour, and mix well.
- Add the applesauce, the eggs and the vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Coat an 8x8 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray, and add half of the batter, spreading to fill the entire bottom.
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the peanut butter filling ingredients, and beat until smooth.
- Add the peanut butter filling by the tablespoon to the baking dish on top of the first brownie batter layer.
- Add the other half of the original batter, and using a fork or a knife, swirl the top layer and the middle layer (this will give it a marbled appearance).
- Bake for 30 minutes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit and let cool.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the frosting and stir until well combined.
- Spread over the brownies, cut and serve.