This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #40DiasMorningStar #CollectiveBias
I remember when I was growing up in Mexico that during the lent season, lots of people did not eat meat. I am a big fan of meat, so that was always difficult for me, because I didn’t know of very many vegetarian recipes when I was younger. Now, though, I have been able to find quite a few and today’s recipe is one of them.
Stuffed peppers is a very traditional Mexican recipe – they usually are stuffed with ground beef, chicken, or some other type of meat, then they are a covered with a layer of cheese and topped with a homemade salsa. Today I want to share a vegetarian version of this Mexican classic.
This dish already has a lot of veggies to begin with – you start with a bell pepper and the salsa has fresh peppers and vegetables as well.
To replace the meat in this dish, I used MorningStar Farms® Chipotle Black Bean Crumbles™.They combine black beans with veggie ground beef and delicious spices to create a delicious filling without actual meat!
Aside from this product, MorningStar Farms® has so many other great great vegetarian options as well – including vegetarian bacon! I bought it at Walmart and I am so glad that we decided to try them out!
You can even earn $3.00 when buying 3 MorningStar Farms® products by using the following Ibotta rebate (while supplies last).
To stick with the vegetarian theme, I used a vegetarian smoked cheddar cheese to top the peppers before adding this delicious sauce and other veggies as a garnish.
If you have any doubts about how good these are, let me tell you this – I didn’t tell my husband that these were vegetarian stuffed peppers, and he came home and ate one up and didn’t even know that there was no meat until I told him. He loved them!
Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 3 Bell Peppers cut in half
- Whole wheat rice cooked
- MorningStar Farms® Chipotle Black Bean Crumbles™ 16.2 oz (cooked according to package instructions)
- Vegetarian smoked cheddar shredded
For the Salsa
- 2 to matoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/4 onion
- chipotle pepper in adobo 1-2 peppers
- 1/4 cup of vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Put the bell peppers on a deep baking dish and fill with the rice, then the MorningStar Farms® Chipotle Black Bean Crumbles™ and top with the vegetarian smoked cheddar.
- Add the salsa around the peppers and bake for 40 minutes, covered with aluminum foil.
For the Salsa
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until somewhat smooth.
- Cook with a small amount of olive oil in a frying pan for 3-5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and pour in the baking dish with the peppers as indicated above.