Inside: Learn how to make the easy and popular Mexican breakfast recipe known as entomatadas which is easy to make and delicious.
Para Leer En Espanol, Haz Click Aqui.
Mexico is known for its large and elaborate breakfasts. Some popular Mexican breakfasts are chilaquiles rojos and verdes, huevos rancheros, machaca eggs, gorditas, empanadas, and of course, these delicious entomatadas.
Most of these recipes use fresh, inexpensive ingredients. As long as you can make a basic roasted tomato salsa, you can use it for an infinite number of authentic Mexican recipes.
Although this recipe is very simple, it is still delicious and quite popular for breakfast. The filling can vary. Some people like to add cheese, but I generally like to stick to shredded chicken for the filling to make it a more complete breakfast.
The salsa that is used for these entomatadas is exquisite and the flavor is incomparable. You can choose to make it spicy or mild, depending on your personal tastes.
What Are Entomatadas?
This recipe basically consists of smothering a fried corn tortilla in a homemade salsa roja with roasted tomatoes, onions, and garlic. You can then choose to fill it with cheese or chicken before topping with queso fresco or cotija, crema, and sometimes lettuce.
The popularity of this recipe is based partially on how easy it is. You can make it in 20 minutes and it is perfect for days when you are in a hurry.
Another recipe that is similar to these entomatadas is called enfrijoladas. It is the same process, except you coat the tortillas in a black bean-based salsa instead. Those are absolutely delicious also!
Entomatadas make for a very inexpensive breakfast that everyone will still love. My kids love it and are always asking for seconds and thirds!
You are going to love this recipe. Go ahead and try it out and let me know how it turns out.
Other Great Authentic Mexican Breakfast Recipes
- The Best Chilaquiles Recipe (verdes)
- Chilaquiles Recipe with Homemade Salsa and Chicken
- How To Make Authentic Huevos Motuleños
- The Best Huevos Rancheros
- Mexican Style Machaca Eggs (Great for Breakfast Burritos)
Authentic Entomatadas Recipe
- 1 Chicken Breast Boiled and Shredded
- 1/2 White Onion Sliced
- 20 corn tortillas
- 1/8 cup vegetable oil
For the Salsa
- 5 Large Red Tomatoes
- 1/4 White Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1/4 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 Jalapeno (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Salt to taste
- Queso Fresco or cotija
- Table Cream
- Cilantro Chopped
- Start by roasting the tomatoes, onion, garlic and jalapeno (if you are using it) in a hot pan for about 3-5 minutes, or until they start to turn brown.
- Once roasted, add all of the salsa ingredients except for the olive oil to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the olive oil to a hot frying pan and add the onion slices, cooking for about minutes.
- Add the salsa and let boil for about 5 minutes, adding additional salt if necessary. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, lightly fry the tortillas by adding them to the frying pan with the hot vegetable oil for about 5 seconds each. They should be soft but not fried like a tostada. Remove excess oil with a paper towel.
- Coat each tortilla in the salsa, and put on a plate. Fill with the chicken or queso fresco and fold over before topping with more queso fresco, crema, and cilantro.