This post was sponsored by Honeysuckle White turkey brand as part of an In-Home Party Activation for Influence Central. I received complimentary products to facilitate my review.
Getting through the Winter here in Colorado is quite an accomplishment. It is true that we have lots of sunny days during the Winter, but the snowy days are usually what I end up remembering most. Unfortunately Spring isn’t much better, as it is common to get snow storms into late April. For that reason, when we get a nice Spring day with lots of sun, I love to take advantage of it to invite over friends and family for an outdoor grilling party.
Last weekend was a perfect day to kick off the grilling season, so I decided to invite over some friends. The days had been nice and warm, so we were excited to make some great food and have some fun in the sun.
Throwing a grilling party can seem overwhelming, but as long as you plan it ahead of time it won’t take too much time and you will have a great time! Today I want to share a few examples of what I included in my party, and I hope that they help you as you get ready to welcome the grilling season!
THE MAIN DISHES
Of course you have to have great main dishes in order to host a great grilling party. After thinking about the menu for awhile, we decided to use the delicious turkey products from Honeysuckle White. Honeysuckle White is all about turkey with a purpose. To learn more, visit this page. They have lots of great products from turkeys raised without growth-promoting antibiotics to fit your healthful lifestyle and to help you host a party like a true grill master! The main dishes that I decided to make for this party were a Mexican style turkey burger – using Honeysuckle White ground turkey, and turkey brat and potato kabobs – using Honeysuckle White turkey brats.
When most people think of Mexican food, they think of tacos, tostadas, burritos, tamales and more, and not really of hamburgers. While it is true that hamburgers are not as common in Mexico, they are still popular. Mexican style burgers are a bit different from the normal burger here in the United States. While the exact toppings can vary, they will almost always have bacon, grilled onions, pineapple, jalapenos, lettuce, and some variation of a spicy sauce. I like to season my own meat and add some veggies and fresh herbs to give it that extra kick of flavor. For this particular recipe, I used Honeysuckle White ground turkey and it turned out great. Check out the recipe below!
How to Throw a Perfect Springtime Grilling Party + Mexican Style Turkey Burgers
For the Turkey Burger
- 1 pound of Honeysuckle White ground turkey
- 1/2 red pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro finely chopped
- Salt Pepper, Paprika, Garlic powder
Turkey Burger Toppings
- Hamburger Buns
- Spicy BBQ sauce
- Grilled Onions
- Grilled Pineapple
- Start by combining all of the Turkey Burger ingredients together in a large bowl and mix until everything is well integrated.
- Form individual balls with the turkey mixture and place between wax paper or plastic wrap and flatten into patties of the size that you need for the burgers.
- Place on the grill and cook until done.
- Form the turkey burgers by spreading mayonnaise on the buns, and adding the lettuce, the burger, the bacon, the grilled pineapple, the grilled onions, the jalapenos, and finally cover with the spicy BBQ sauce.
Kabobs are pretty popular in Mexico too, so it was only natural to include these at our grilling party too! To make these you will need:
- Kabob Skewers
- Honeysuckle White turkey brats (cook these before cutting and putting on the skewers)
- Pineapples, cut into chunks
- Red Peppers
- Yellow Peppers
- Potatoes (boiled first, and then tossed with olive oil, rosemary, and garlic.)
To make them, add each ingredient, one at a time to the kabob skewer in the order that you want. Then take them out to the grill and cook through. Be careful though, because they can burn quickly if you don’t turn them over regularly.
These main dishes were a hit and everyone loved the Honeysuckle White turkey products. One thing that I love about Honeysuckle White turkeys is that they are raised on more than 700 independent family farms, so you can feel good about feeding it to your family and friends this grilling season. Honeysuckle White products are found throughout the west and midwest, so if you live in those areas make sure to keep an eye out for them! If you live in the east, then you can look for Honeysuckle White’s sister product – Shady Brook Farms turkey.
If this is something that you want to try, you are in luck, because as part of this post I am hosting a GIVEAWAY in which one of you can win one free Honeysuckle White turkey product and an engraved serving tray for your own grilling party! Enter below:
SIDE DISHES AND BEVERAGE
While the main dishes may steal the show, it is just as important to have some delicious side dishes and beverages to go along with the grilling party. I decided to have a nice variety of side dishes that were perfect for this occasion as well as one delicious beverage. They included the following:
- BBQ Potato Chips, served in homemade wrapping paper cones – all you have to do is cut a piece of wrapping paper down to a smaller size, form a cone, and tape together at the bottom. Then you can fill it with the potato chips for a great presentation.
- Fresh Fruit Salad – this is pretty self-explanatory – all you have to do is choose your favorite fruits, chop them up and put them in a pretty serving bowl! I used fresh Watermelon, Grapes, and Strawberries.
- Roasted Corn on the Cob. There are a few ways to roast corn on the cob – in the husk, out of the husk and directly on the grill, and out of the husk wrapped in aluminum foil. I really love the charred taste and look of corn on the cob when it is cooked directly on the grill, so that is how we decided to do it for this party. Keep a close eye on the corn so that it doesn’t get too charred, and finish it off by adding generous amounts of butter, salt, and pepper. This was a big hit!
- Horchata – I can’t think of a better beverage to have at a springtime grilling party than the delicious, flavorful, Mexican horchata. This is a delicious, rice-based drink that is found almost anywhere in Mexico. It can take a little while to make it from scratch, but it is so worth it! Lucky for you, I have a recipe for it here on my blog – so check it out here!
What good is a party if you don’t have anyone to share it with? I decided to have some friends over, and everyone had a great time and loved the food, so I would say that this party was a success! However, I’ll let you be the judge – just look at these pictures! To finish it off, I gave each of my guests a great spice rub in individual containers with a thank you tag. Here is a free printable of the thank you tag if you want to use them as well!
I hope that your springtime grilling party is as much fun as our’s was! Let me know how your’s turns out in the comments below!