Para Leer En Español, Haz Click Aqui.
This delicious creamy corn salsa is full of flavor and adds the perfect touch to this amazing chicken chiles rellenos recipe. I am positive that these will be a hit when you make them for your family.
Poblano chiles are very popular in Mexico, and are especially well known as being a main ingredient in chile en nogadas – which is a delicious Mexican dish served at many celebrations.
Many different variations now exist, such as fried chiles rellenos, toritos (which are chiles rellenos, wrapped in bacon), cheese filled chiles rellenos, and these chicken filled ones that are served with a delicious creamy corn salsa. This is easy to make, and the flavor will leave you begging for more.
Some people are a bit intimidated by poblano chiles because they think that they might be too spicy. Let me tell you – this does not have to be the case. There are some tricks that you can use to make sure that they aren’t too spicy.
The secret to making a perfect chile relleno starts with how you clean and prepare it. The first step is to roast them on the stove or in the oven until the skin is almos completely black – this is key to being able to remove the skin later.
Once they are blackened like in the above picture, grab a hold of them with some tongs so that you don’t burn yourself, and put them in a plastic bag where you need to let them rest for 10-15 minutes.
Once that amount of time has gone by, grab each one and put them under a stream of cold water, while carefully removing the skin at the same time. It is good idea to use some plastic or latex gloves for this step.
Once you have removed the skin from the poblano chiles, dry them with a paper towel and slice them open by cutting an opening with a knife on the top side as shown in the picture below.
This will allow you to remove the seeds, which you can do with the help of a small knife or spoon. After all of the seeds have been removed, you can use them as-is, or you can do this next trick which will make sure that they aren’t too spicy. The trick is to add them to a bowl or pot full of hot water with a little bit of sugar.
The next step is to fill them with a delicious creamy chicken mixture that consists of shredded chicken mixed with tomatoes, onions, and cream cheese and then seasoned with salt, pepper. You will also want to add a generous amount of shredded cheese on top to make sure that these are extra cheesy!
Many versions of chiles rellenos are battered and fried, which is delicious, however this version is not prepared that way. Instead, it is served over a fresh and creamy corn salsa, which is full of flavor and easy to make.
When these chiles rellenos are filled, it is time to bake them so that the cheese melt and so that the chiles can get cooked all the way through. Then, after you take them out of the oven, they should be served over the creamy corn salsa.
This is a recipe that you are definitely going to want to try! What do you think?
Chicken Chiles Rellenos with Creamy Corn Salsa Recipe
- 3-4 poblano chiles cleaned, cooked, and de-seeded as explained above.
For the Filling
- 1 chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 1/4 bar of cream cheese at room temperature
- Chopped cilantro onion, and tomato
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
For the Creamy Corn Salsa
- 1 1/2 cup of whipping cream or 1 can of evaporated milk
- 1 cup of corn + 1/2 cup extra to add to the cooked salsa
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of corn starch to thicken
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Filling
- Heat the chicken up with the onion, tomato, and cilantro for about three minutes over medium heat.
- Add the cream cheese and stir well until creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper and let cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Set aside.
For the Creamy Corn Salsa
- Add the whipping cream or evaporated milk and 1 cup of corn to a blender and blend well.
- Strain the mixture in order to obtain a creamy texture and add to a frying pan with two tablespoons of melted butter, heat until the salsa is warm.
- In a separate bowl, combine the corn starch with the chicken stock and stir well before adding to the frying pan.
- Add the remaining corn and stir until it is as thick as you want it.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with the chiles rellenos.
To Form the Chiles Rellenos
- Once cleaned, cooked, and de-seeded, add some of the creamy chicken mixture to the inside of the poblano chile and add the shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees (or put in the microwave until the cheese is melted).
- Serve over the creamy corn salsa and serve hot.