Inside: Keep reading to learn how to make an extra creamy, Mexican-style Arroz Con Leche that everyone will love!
Arroz con Leche, or rice pudding, is an authentic Mexican recipe that is sweet and smooth. If you master the steps to make this delicious dessert, you will come to realize that rice is not only good as a savory meal, but also as a sweet one.
Today I am going to share the secrets about how to make a delicious, yet easy arroz con leche that I learned from my abuelita.
A little while back, we had guests coming to our house for dinner, and even though we had planned everything in advance, the day got away from me and we had to change the menu at the last minute. Fortunately, dessert was an easy decision, because I knew that I could make this amazing arroz con leche, which is commonly translated to “rice pudding” in English.
Main Dishes That Go Great With Arroz Con Leche
This recipe is a great option for dessert, and it goes great with some of these other Mexican favorites:
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos
- Tinga Tostadas
- Tacos Al Pastor
- Barbacoa Tacos
- Shrimp Ceviche Mexican Style Ceviche Recipe
This recipe is very important to me because it always brings back some of my favorite memories of growing up near my abuelita’s ranch in Mexico. She was the most amazing cook, and she always snuck me into the kitchen to help her. Sometimes that meant that I was just licking bowls, but it was always a great time.
I always loved observing her while she cooked and listening to all of the great stories she told me about when she was growing up. I definitely learned so much about life and being a good person from her during the time we shared in the kitchen!
Whenever she cooked rice pudding, we all waited anxiously for it to be done so that we could enjoy it.
Secrets From My Abuela For Making The Best Arroz Con Leche
- TIP 1: Toast the Cinnamon Sticks and Cloves First. My abuelita always started by lightly toasting the cinnamon sticks and two or three cloves until there was a delicious aroma in the air. I still use this trick to this day and it makes a big difference in this recipe.
- TIP 2: Add Evaporated Milk to the Water when Cooking the Rice. After toasting the cinnamon and cloves, my abuelita taught me to add not only water, but also evaporated milk with the rice, so that it could cook together and so that all of the flavors could combine perfectly.
- TIP 3: Use Sweetened Condensed Milk And Liquid Coffee Creamer. It is common to use sweetened condensed milk in arroz con leche, but my Abuela taught me that adding some liquid coffee creamer can add a perfect amount of sweetness and creaminess that everyone loves.
- TIP 4: Make It With Love. All of the other tips I have mentioned have to do with the ingredients and how you prepare them. However, one of the most important lessons I ever learned from my Abuela was to make everything with love. Making it with love means that you take your time with every step, keeping your family in friends that will be enjoying it in mind.
How Do You Serve Arroz Con Leche?
After you finish making the base of this arroz con leche, it is time to make it look pretty. I always like to serve it in glass bowls and topped with cinnamon and fresh fruit. Other cultures prepare rice pudding in different ways, but this is my favorite. You can add almonds, raisins, or any fresh fruit that you have on hand. No matter how you serve it, I am sure that you will enjoy it.
If you try this recipe and love it, please come back and let me know in the comments below. And as always, if it was good, don’t forget to leave a 5-star review!
Arroz con leche (rice pudding) is one of the easiest and most delicious Mexican desserts.
- 1 1/2 cups of long grain white rice
- 1 cup of water
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 cup of evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 sweetened condensed milk
- 32 oz French Vanilla Liquid Coffee Creamer
- 4 egg yolks beaten
- 3 sticks of cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 1 tsp Lemon zest optional
- Begin by toasting the cinnamon sticks and cloves until you can begin to smell them.
- Add the water, evaporated milk, rice, milk, and butter and cook over medium high heat.
- Bring to a boil and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally until the rice is cooked through and liquid is almost completely evaporated (20-30 minutes).
- Set aside.
- In a separate pot, combine the Coffee-Mate Liquid Creamer with the La Lechera sweetened condensed milk and stir well. Bring to a boil for two minutes and add the egg yolks, stirring rapidly with a whisk.
- Let boil for two additional minutes until it has thickened.
- Add this mixture to the rice mixture and stir well.
- Add raisins, nuts, or fruit.
- Serve hot or cold!