Inside: Learn how to make this popular, Mexican-Style Shrimp Ceviche with shrimp, lime juice, avocado, jalapeño, cilantro and finish it off with some hot sauce if that is your style.
Shrimp ceviche is one of my favorite recipes from my hometown of Veracruz, Mexico. Veracruz is a port city located on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico. As a result, there is plenty of fresh seafood for anyone who likes it.
For me, there is just about nothing better than a making a delicious shrimp ceviche with fresh ingredients during the summer. I always remember getting together on Sunday afternoons with my extended family and sharing fresh ceviche with freshly made tostadas.
My siblings and I always went out to get the fresh shrimp and avocados from the market and those were some of my favorite memories. I love entertaining family and friends with this recipe now too!
How Do You Prepare The Shrimp When Making Ceviche?
One unique thing about making ceviche is that you don’t actually cook the shrimp (or fish if you are making fish ceviche) in the traditional sense. Instead, you soak the shrimp in lemon juice for about an hour until they turn pink and are ready to eat.
This is the traditional way of preparing the shrimp for most ceviche recipes, and the result is a fresh, delicious flavor that is irresistible.
For a traditional Mexican ceviche made with shrimp, you have to use a good hot sauce. There are many different options to choose from, so you should definitely try out a few different types.
Now that summer is arriving here in Colorado, I am going to be sure to make this ceviche recipe as much as possible. I love to make a nice fresh batch and serve it with tostadas so that everyone can come and grab as much or as little as they want. It is really a perfect option for family gatherings and more.
One bite and I know that you will agree that this is the best shrimp ceviche recipe around!
Check out these other delicious Mexican recipes:
- Baked Cod Recipe for Seafood Lovers
- Charro Beans
- Tacos al Pastor
- Traditional Mexican Tostadas
- Barbacoa Tacos
Products you may need for this recipe:
- Set of Bowls. You will want a nice set of mixing/serving bowls to combine all of the ingredients and serve this shrimp ceviche. This is a great option that I got for Christmas and I recommend it!
- Knife Set. You will be chopping up a lot of vegetables and the shrimp for this recipe, so you will want a good set of knives like this one.
- Cutting Boards. You will also need a good cutting board to use those new knives on. This set comes with three different sizes and they are quite durable.
Shrimp Ceviche – Mexican Style Ceviche Recipe
- 1 Bag 16 Ounces of Raw, deveined shrimp
- 1/2 Red Onion diced
- 1 Cucumber diced
- 3 Tomatoes diced
- 1 Jalapeño diced
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro finely chopped
- 1 1/4 Cup of Real Lime Juice
- Juice from one lemon
- 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Frank's RedHot Buffalo Sauce quantity depends on how spicy you want it
- 1 Avocado
- Combine all of the shrimp with 1 cup of lime juice in a large bowl. Cover and let rest in the refrigerator for at least one hour until the shrimp are mostly pink.
- In a separate bowl, combine the onion, cucumber, tomatoes, jalapeño, and cilantro.
- Add the shrimp and mix well.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, and season with salt and pepper and additional lime and lemon juice.
- Mix well and serve on the tostadas adding Frank's RedHot to taste and avocados.