Para Leer En Español, Haz Click Aqui
One of my mom’s favorite foods is definitely soup, and she is always happy to make some delicious ones every time that she comes to visit us. In the central part of Mexico, chicken tortilla soup is very popular – especially when served with recently fried tortilla strips. The good thing is that there are many different varieties and ways to make it.
For example, you can add beans and it becomes “Tarasca” soup, or if you omit the chicken it is called “Azteca” soup. Today, however, I am going to share my recipe for the traditional Chicken Tortilla Soup. It is perfect for cold, rainy days – but if you are like me, you will like it year-round.
Chicken Tortilla Soup is very easy to make and you can prepare it from start to finish in under thirty minutes. The secret to making this soup even better is making sure that the tortilla strips are still perfectly crunchy when it is time to serve the soup. You can achieve this by frying to tortilla strips right at the end and adding them to the bottom of the bowl right before pouring in the soup.
Although there are different ways to make this soup, almost every version starts with a similar base of fresh ingredients and that is why it is one of my favorite recipes!
You start out by roasting the tomatoes on a hot stove, along with the onion and cloves of garlic. Next, you blend it together with ancho chilies and chicken stock.
I have to say that I always get excited when I see tortilla soup on a menu at restaurants here in the United States, but unfortunately I haven’t found any that have that authentic Mexican taste, which is why I usually end up making my own version at home.
The last step after making the soup is to fry the tortilla strips and add all of the toppings. I am positive that you will love this version and I hope that you will try it soon!
- 4 Roma Tomatoes roasted
- 2 Cloves of Garlic roasted
- 1/4 Onion roasted
- 1 Large Ancho Chili boiled and de-seeded.
- 5 Cups of Chicken Stock
- Salt and Pepper
- Avocado cubed
- Shredded Chicken
- Freshly fried tortilla strips
- Queso Fresco or other type of cheese
- Crema Table cream
- Boil the chicken, then shred it and set aside the water to use as the chicken stock (you can use canned chicken stock if you prefer).
- Blend together the roasted tomatoes, garlic cloves, onion and ancho chili.
- Add the above mixture to the chicken stock with a small amount of olive oil and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer for 25 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, fry the tortilla strips and set aside.
Add the tortilla strips and the shredded chicken to the bowl and then add the soup.
Garnish with the avocado, crema, cheese, chopped cilantro, and lime.