Inside. These extra crispy chorizo potato balls, known as papas rellenas in Mexico, are a perfect appetizer that you can enjoy with family and friends time and time again.
Papas rellenas is a delicious appetizer that I made and ate many times growing up in Mexico. There are many different ways that you can make them, but in general, they consist of mashed potatoes, stuffed with meat or cheese, and then fried to a golden brown color. Today I am going to share one of my favorite ways to prepare this authentic Mexican recipe, which includes delicious chorizo.
Papas Rellenas Ingredients
In order to make these chorizo potato balls, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 russet potatoes;
- 1 package of chorizo;
- Mozzarella cheese;
- Your choice of seasonings (i.e. garlic, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper);
- Panko breadcrumbs; and
You can make these papas rellenas in 30 minutes or less, and to be honest, they probably won’t last much longer than that once they are finished!
Steps For Making Papas Rellenas
The process for making this delicious appetizer is pretty simple.
Step 1: You start by washing and boiling the potatoes before mashing them and setting them aside. You will want them to be very creamy and smooth, so make sure you get out as many lumps as possible.
Step 2: The next step is to cook the chorizo with onions, garlic, herbs, and spices. After it is done cooking, you will set that aside as well.
Step 3: Once you have the mashed potatoes and chorizo ready, form a small ball with the mashed potatoes and make a small hole in the middle. Then you just have to fill the hole with chorizo and mozzarella cheese. Finish this step by covering it up with more mashed potato and rolling to form a smooth ball.
Step 4: The last step is to coat the potato balls in an egg wash and then panko bread crumbs before frying them in plenty of oil.
One thing that I really love about papas rellenas is that they are fun to eat and look good too. I really hope that you can enjoy this delicious recipe as much as I do. Don’t forget to take a few minutes to leave a review if you enjoyed them!
Other Great Appetizers
Check out these other great appetizers if you loved this recipe.
- How To Make Perfect, Extra Crispy Homemade Onion Rings From Scratch
- Fried Pickles Extra Crispy Dill Pickles
- The Freshest, Most Authentic Mexican Guacamole Recipe You Will Find
- Loaded Fries with Bacon, Cheddar, and Ranch
- The Best Chili Con Carne
- Bacon, Cheddar, and Chipotle Corn Dip – The Perfect Appetizer
Extra Crispy Chorizo Potato Balls
- 4 Russet Potatoes
- 1 pound of pork chorizo
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3 tsp Eggs
- 1/2 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 cup canola oil for frying
- Boil the potatoes until they are soft enough to mash.
- Mash the potatoes and set aside.
- Cook the chorizo together with the seasonings and set aside when cooked.
- Take some of the mashed potatoes and create a small indentation in it.
- Fill with the chorizo mixture and the mozzarella cheese and cover with additional potatoes.
- Coat in an egg wash and then in the Panko bread crumbs.
- Fry in plenty of oil and pat try.
Saturday 31st of July 2021
The extra crispy chorizo potato balls were so good!
Smoked Pork Taquitos Smothered In Salsa Verde - My Latina Table
Monday 9th of September 2019
[…] Extra Crispy Chorizo Potato Balls (Papas Rellenas) […]
23 Spud-tacular Potato Recipes - 365ish Days of Pinterest
Tuesday 4th of April 2017
[…] extra crispy Chorizo Potato Balls from My Latina Table would make a great […]