Inside: These Red, White, and Blue Popcorn Balls are held together by delicious homemade marshmallow cream and are drizzled with red, white, and blue candy topping. They are great for any occasion, but are especially perfect for the 4th of July.
I know that it is important to eat healthy when you can, but there are always occasions when it is okay to splurge as well!
Usually those occasions are holidays when the family gets together to have fun and eat great food. In particular, we love to get together with family on Memorial Day and the 4th of July for picnics and BBQs.
In addition to the meat, salads, and other great foods that we enjoy on those holiday, we always love to have great desserts too. When we can make desserts that have the same theme as the holiday it is even better!
That is why we decided to make these delicious red, white, and blue popcorn balls for the 4th of July this year! They are so easy to make and are very patriotic. I am definitely going to make this a regular for Memorial Day and the 4th of July going forward!
The great thing is that you can take the same basic recipe and just change the colors for other holidays – like Christmas or Halloween too!
How To Make 4th of July Popcorn Balls
To make these, you will start by making a delicious homemade marshmallow cream sauce that consists of marshmallows, butter, and sugar.
Once the marshmallow cream sauce is ready, you will add it to the already popped popcorn and stir before moving on to the next step.
You will want to let it cool a little bit before you grab the mix with your hands to form the balls, because it will be extremely hot at this point! Don’t let them cool too long though, because you still want to be able to form them.
Once they have cooled for maybe 5-10 minutes, you will want to put some oil or butter on your hand to keep them from sticking. Then carefully form the popcorn balls and place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet to continue cooling.
The final step in the process is to melt these colored red, white, and blue candy melts like these, and then put each color in a separate small plastic bag with a small opening cut in the bottom corner.
Carefully drizzle onto the popcorn balls and let cool completely before removing and putting on the serving plate to take to your event.
What is your favorite food for Memorial Day and the 4th of July?
Check Out These Great Snack Ideas
- Rice Krispie Treat Pops (Red, White, and Blue)
- How To Make Authentic Sweet Tamales (3 Different Varieties)
- The Best Churros Recipe with Sweet Piloncillo Dipping Sauce
- Honey Bunches of Oats® Marshmallow Bars
- White Chocolate Striped Peanut Butter Blossoms
Red, White and Blue Popcorn Balls
- 1 Bag of Popcorn popped
- 6-10 Red Candy Melts
- 6-10 White Candy Melts
- 6-10 Blue Candy Melts
- 1 Bag of Jumbo Marshmallows
- 1 Stick of Butter
- 1/2 Cup of Granulated Sugar
- Start by melting the butter, together with the sugar of medium low heat, until completed melted and combined.
- Add the bag of marshmallows and continue to cook of medium low heat until the marshmallows are completed melted and you have a smooth marshmallow cream.
- Add the marshmallow cream to a large bowl with the popcorn and mix well.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add some butter or oil to your hands and form the popcorn balls, placing each on the parchment paper.
- Melt the candy melts per package instructions and add each to a separate plastic bag, cutting a small hole in the corner.
- Drizzle the candy melts on each popcorn ball and let cool completely before serving.