INSIDE: Learn How to Make The Most Authentic Horchata Recipe Using Ingredients That You Most Likely Already Have In Your Pantry.
Horchata is a delicious rice (or coconut) based drink that you can find at most Mexican restaurants in the United States and abroad.
The reason it is so popular is that it always adds a refreshing touch to any meal. I have yet to meet someone that has tried it without falling in love and being disappointed when it is gone. If you go to any Mexican restaurant, you can probably find some version of this delicious Mexican beverage. However, many of those are made from powder and don’t have that authentic taste.
Today, I want to show you how to make a truly authentic version of horchata that I learned growing up in Mexico. It will take some patience and a little bit of preparation, but I assure you that the results will be worth it.
Serve Horchata With:
There are different varieties of Horchata throughout Latin America. If you have tried one version before and didn’t like it, you can always try another one and that might change.
One of the great things about a good horchata recipe is that you can add different ingredients to it to change the taste. For example, many people add shredded coconut or almonds. You can also use different varieties of milk such as almond milk.
Like I said above, there are many different versions depending on the country. The recipe that I am sharing today is my favorite way to make horchata, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t switch it up a bit.
What Does Horchata Taste Like?
You are going to find out for yourself pretty soon what this delicious drink tastes like, but if you are curious, you will be happy to know that horchata is smooth and rich, and has just the right amount of sweetness.
If you want to get the smooth, rich flavor, then you want to make sure that you follow these instructions perfectly.
I have so many memories growing up of going to the local taquerias with my siblings and other family members and ordering up a plate of delicious street tacos with a side of delicious authentic Horchata. It was always a hit and something that I will always remember.
Although I don’t live in Mexico anymore, I still am able to keep these memories with me by making these recipes and sharing them with my family here. Even though I prefer to make homemade horchata, I will still try just about any version that I can find when I go to Mexican restaurants. Some are better than others, but they all remind me of Mexico.
What is the best way to make Horchata?
I mentioned above that making this recipe will take some preparation. The good news is that it is easy to make, and you probably already have all of the ingredients that you will need in your kitchen. If you don’t already have them, don’t worry – they are easy to find and are very inexpensive.
Also, rest assured, because the end result will definitely be worth it!
The reason it takes a while is that you have to soak the rice, cinnamon, and almonds in water for an extended period of time in order to ensure that all of the flavors are perfect. The best way to do this is to start soaking the ingredients the night before. That way, you can sleep instead of just standing around waiting for this delicious drink to be ready!
Once you have soaked the ingredients long enough, the next steps are pretty easy. You will need to strain the water, and then blend the ingredients together with evaporated milk. It is very important to strain the resulting mix using a very fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth so that you can avoid a gritty texture. It is still delicious, but I personally prefer a smooth taste.
I am so happy that you found this recipe, and I really hope that you are willing to put the time and effort into making this recipe. It may not be something that you make every day, but it is perfect for special occasions like Cinco de Mayo, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, New Years, and more. No matter when you make this recipe, you can be sure that everyone will love it and will be asking you for the recipe.
So, if you are feeling adventurous and are ready to try this authentic recipe, check it out below and I promise that you won’t regret it!
Products Used In This Horchata Recipe
- Fine Mesh Strainer: This is one of the most important things that you can get when making horchata. You have to strain the rice and almond pieces after you blend it, so to avoid a grainy texture, you will want a fine mesh strainer. You can get one of my favorites here if you don’t already have one.
- Blender: You will need a good blender to make sure that you break everything down as much as possible. I use this one, but you can really use any high-quality blender.
- Large Drinking Glasses: Horchata is good no matter what, but it is even better drinking it from a large glass like these ones. I add a straw and lots of ice and it is delicious!
- Large Bowls: You have to soak the rice and other ingredients overnight for this recipe, so it is important to have large glass bowls. You can use any glass bowl that you have, but make sure that they are high quality like these.
- 1 cup of white rice
- 1 1/3 cup sugar adjust depending on how sweet you want - 2/3 cup of sugar if you want it less sweet.
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 T vanilla
- 1 Can 12 ounces Evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cup of milk or almond milk
- 1 Liter of water
- Start by soaking the rice, cinnamon, and almonds in a bowl of water all night, or at least for 5 hours so that the rice softens slightly.
- Strain the water from the cinnamon, rice, and almond mixture that were soaking, disposing of water.
- Blend the cinnamon, rice, and almond mixture with evaporated milk until a smoother mix is formed and the grains of rice are completely ground.
- Strain the resulting liquid into a pitcher, and add the sugar, vanilla, and milk. Mix well until everything is well combined.Add a liter of water, and serve with ice. Enjoy!