Inside: Learn how to make these delicious, authentic and traditional Mexican tostadas so that you can impress at your next Fiesta.
Para Leer En Espanol, Haz Click Aqui
Growing up in Mexico, I had tostadas on a regular basis. It is such an easy meal to make, but that doesn’t mean that it can’t look and taste great!
Another good thing about tostadas is that they are very inexpensive to make. Even when families are going through a tough time, if you have beans, ground beef, some vegetables, and tortillas, then you can make tostadas.
The first time my husband went to Mexico (before we were married), he fell in love with the tostadas that my mom made for him. I am not exaggerating when I say that I think he ate 6 or 7 of them in one sitting! They really are that good.
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Authentic Tostadas
The main components of a tostada are those that I listed above – beans, ground beef (or another type of meat), vegetables (lettuce and tomato), and tortillas.
It is easy to go to the store and get ready to eat tostada shells. That said, I prefer to fry my own. They taste better that way and are so much more authentic. Another healthier option is to bake the tostada shells. I do this sometimes and they are still great!
For the beans, it is important that you can spread them, so refried beans (black or pinto) are the best.
Back in Mexico, we used to cook and mash our own beans, but that can take a long time! Having three little boys, time is something that I don’t have very often. That is why I usually use pre-made, refried beans. No matter what you use, you will definitely want to include beans for this to be an authentic Mexican tostada.
There is another type of tostada called “tostadas de tinga”, which is delicious. Check out the recipe here.
The next step to making delicious tostadas is to have fresh veggies and well-seasoned ground beef.
Once everything is ready, just layer the ingredients, starting with the beans, on top of the recently fried tortillas and serve with cheese, salsa, and Mexican crema if desired.
These are perfect for any occasion and are sure to be a hit. Anytime that someone asks for traditional Mexican food, these tostadas are on the top of my list for recipes to show them.
I hope that you enjoy these as much as we do, and make sure to let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
Check Out These Other Authentic Mexican Recipes
- Authentic Mexican Entomatadas Recipe with Chicken
- Authentic Mexican Chiles En Nogada Recipe
- Authentic Mexican Meatballs Recipe (Albondigas Mexicanas)
- How to Make Authentic Mexican Tamales
- The Best Chilaquiles Recipe
Traditional Mexican Tostadas
- 10 Corn Tortillas
- 1 can of Refried Beans
- 1 lb of ground beef
- salt pepper, cumin, paprika, and oregano to season the meat
- 1/4 onion diced
- 1 to mato diced
- 1/2 head of lettuce finely chopped
- queso fresco or another cheese
- Mexican crema
- Salsa Verde
- 1/2 cup canola oil for frying tortillas
- Fry the tortillas in oil, or buy store bought tostadas.
- Cook the ground beef with the onion, tomato, and seasonings.
- Heat the refried beans.
- Form the tostadas by spreading refried beans on the fried tortilla, and then add the ground beef, lettuce, cheese, salsa verde, and Mexican crema.