Inside: Learn how to make delicious and authentic Mexican rice which can be served as a delicious dish with your favorite Mexican meals.
There are a few things that are staples in Mexican cuisine. For one, you always need to serve tortillas. Another is salsa – there has to be salsa on the table. Finally, Mexican rice is something that you find very often and goes great with lots of meals.
I remember eating Mexican rice all the time when I was growing up. In Mexico, however, no one calls it “Mexican Rice”, instead it is just rice or “arroz rojo.” It is a perfect side dish to go with other meals, because it is nice and filling and tastes great too.
How do you make Mexican Rice?
To make Mexican rice, you will need to start by cooking the white rice with oil before adding a tomato based salsa and chicken stock. After that, the process is pretty standard for cooking rice and doesn’t take long at all!
The result is a beautiful red colored rice that is full of flavor. It goes great with pretty much any meal you can think of and is very popular.
When I first met my husband, he wasn’t a big fan of rice. He lived in Bolivia for a couple of years and ate rice all the time, so he got kind of tired of it. However, when I started making this version of rice from Mexico, he fell in love again and he still enjoys it. My kids, who can be picky eaters at times, also enjoy this rice so it is a staple around our house.
What can you serve with this recipe?
I mentioned above that this rice goes great with Mexican dishes, and below are a few specific meals that I love to serve it with.
- Authentic Mexican Birria Recipe (3 Methods)
- Barbacoa Tacos
- Authentic Mexican Meatballs Recipe (Albondigas Mexicanas)
- Authentic Tacos de Canasta Recipe (Mexican Basket Tacos)
- Tacos Al Pastor Recipe
I hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as my family and I do. Let me know in the comments below how it turns out!
Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe
- 1 Cup White Rice
- 3 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Roma Tomato
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/4 White Onion
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Oregano
- salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Add the rice to a pot with the olive oil and cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, moving constantly until the rice is slightly browned.
- Add salt to taste and cook for about 1 more minute.
- Add the tomato, garlic, onion and oregano to a blender and blend together.
- Add the above mixture to the rice and stir well. Let cook over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, moving the rice constantly.
- Add the Chicken Stock and reduce the temperature to medium-low. Cover and let cook until the water evaporates (about 15-20 minutes). If the rice is not soft, add an additional cup of chicken stock or water and continue cooking until the rice is soft.