Inside: Learn how to make one of the ultimate Mexican comfort foods – sopa de fideo. This is delicious and easy to make in a hurry.
When I think back on my youth, one of my fondest memories was cooking in the kitchen with my abuelita. She always had so many delicious recipes to try and she encouraged my siblings and me to help her.
One recipe that sticks out in my mind as a favorite is sopa de fideo. It is definitely one of my favorite Mexican “comfort foods.” I lived near many cousins and other family members, and this soup was always the most popular with all of us.
What is sopa de fideo?
Sopa de fideo is a very simple recipe to make, but it is packed with flavor. The main ingredient is a short, thin pasta called “fideo” in Spanish. What really makes this delicious are the seasonings and spices that are added, along with the shredded chicken.
You may think that a hot soup doesn’t sound great in Mexico where the climate is pretty warm, but this is still very popular and delicious. Now that I live in a very cold climate, I enjoy eating this soup during the long winters that we have, and my kids and husband do too!
How do you make sopa de fideo?
One of the great things about this recipe is that it is easy to make in a hurry. The method for preparing it consists of cooking sauteing the pasta until it is browned, and cooking it together with chicken broth and a homemade tomato salsa.
You cook it all together until everything is cooked perfectly and ready to eat.
I am so glad I got to share this recipe with you all. Let me know below how it turns out.
Check out these other Mexican soup recipes
- Authentic Mexican Pozole Verde Recipe
- Mexican Pozole Recipe
- Authentic Mexican Menudo Recipe
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Mexican Birria Recipe (3 Methods)
Sopa de Fideo Recipe
- 4 Roma Tomatoes
- 1/4 White Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 3 Peppercorns
- 1 Jalapeno Optional
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1/4 bunch Fresh Parsley
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 7 oz Fideo pasta or other thin pasta such as angel hair
- 1 Potato Cut into cubes
- 1 Chicken Breast Cooked and shredded
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- Roast the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and jalapeno in a frying pan until browned.
- Saute the fideo pasta with 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil until lightly browned (5-7 minutes), moving constantly
- Add the roasted tomato, onion, garlic and jalapenos from above to a blender along with the peppercorn, salt, oregano and cumin and blend until smooth. Strain the resulting liquid and add to the pan with the fideo pasta and stir constantly for about 3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and add 4 cups of chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken and the parsley. Let boil for another 10 minutes.
- Serve hot and garnish with fresh lime juice, and additional jalapeno slices.