Inside: Learn How to Make This Super Easy, Authentic Flan Napolitano Recipe with a perfect texture.
Although Mexico has many delicious dessert recipes, flan napolitano is probably the most popular. Every time that I make this recipe for friends and family, they ask for the recipe. It is important to have a smooth and creamy texture, so make sure you follow the instructions exactly as described.
If there is one dessert that I miss from Mexico, it is definitely flan.
Growing up in Mexico, we always looked forward to the days where my mom would make flan. As soon as I walked into the house and saw her making it, my siblings and I got so excited to eat it.
What Does Flan Taste Like?
Some people don’t like flan, because they have had a version that isn’t very creamy and has an odd texture. However, when made correctly, it has a smooth, creamy texture and the flavors are amazing.
I would describe the texture as very similar to a cheesecake, but the flavors are pretty different.
Whenever I am asked to take a dessert to a dinner with friends or family, this recipe is at the top of my list. It doesn’t take very long to make, but everyone is always impressed with the presentation and the different flavors.
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Flan?
My version of Flan is made with simple ingredients, including the following:
- Media Crema (or table cream)
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Evaporated Milk
- Cream Cheese
- Vanilla Extract
You will also make a delicious homemade caramel sauce using just sugar. As you can see, these ingredients are very common, so there is no excuse not to make this!
Many people shy away from making flan because they think it is too hard. I am here to tell you that you can make it, and this easy version will ensure it turns out right.
You can take comfort knowing that you are having a very traditional, Mexican dessert that is delicious and great for serving a crowd.
Other Authentic Mexican Dessert Recipes
If you aren’t in the mood for flan, check out these other great Mexican desserts:
- Lemon Carlota
- Arroz Con Leche (Rice Pudding)
- Gelatina de Leche (Mexican Milk Jello)
- No-Bake Mango Cheesecake Recipe
- Chocolate-Banana Manjar Pie Cups (Mexican Style Pudding Pie)
Let me know in the comments below how this recipe turned out for you, and don’t forget to leave a review!
- 1 can of Media Crema
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 1 8 oz bar of cream cheese room temperature
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 5 eggs
- 1 Cup of granulated sugar.
- Add to the sugar to a frying pan over medium heat, stirring constantly for about 4-8 minutes, or until it becomes a liquid.
- Continue stirring until smooth.
- Add the caramel sauce made in the previous step to a metal cake pan (9 inches) distributing it along the bottom. Let cool for a couple of minutes.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the flan in a blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into the cake pan over the caramel sauce and cook in a double boiler over the stove for 1.5 hours. *See notes below
For the double boiler method that I use, you will need a large steamer like This One. This is used for tamales as well.
Fill the lower part with water and bring to a boil. Add the steamer insert and place the cake plan with the flan mixture inside and cook for 1.5 hours, checking often.