Inside: Learn to make this authentic and delicious Mexican recipe for Espagueti Verde, which is spaghetti made with a creamy green poblano sauce.
Para Espanol, haz click aqui.
What is Espagueti Verde?
This spaghetti recipe, literally translated to “green spaghetti” is a delicious side dish that you won’t want to leave out at your next dinner gathering.
This recipe is not only delicious, but it is easy to make too!
How do you make the sauce for Espagueti Verde?
There are different ways to make this meal depending on where you are from. However, in Mexico, we make it with poblano peppers and cilantro. It is inexpensive to make, and you can make a lot – so it is perfect for large groups!
The sauce is made by roasting the poblano peppers and letting them rest in a sealed plastic bag for 10 minutes. After that, you need to remove the skin which I do by putting the poblano pepper under a stream of cold water. You will also remove the seeds at that point.
I always do the above step with gloves to prevent my hands from touching too much of the seeds or pepper.
Next you will saute some onion, spinach, tomatillo and garlic that you will then blend with the poblano peppers, chicken stock, cilantro, crema, cream cheese, salt, and cumin.
The final step for the sauce is to bring it to a boil with a teaspoon of oil and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
After the sauce is done, you will combine with with cooked spaghetti, add it to an oven-safe dish and top with cheese beofre baking until the cheese is melted.
When I was a little girl growing up in Mexico I always used to love this meal and I never left any on my plate. Now that I am a mom, I make this for my kids and they love it too! I made it just recently for my husband’s birthday dinner and it was a hit!
In Mexico, pasta isn’t as popular as other types of food with some exceptions. For example, sopa de fideos, sopa navidena, white spaghetti, and of course this espagueti verde are all very popular.
One downside to this delicious meal is that it isn’t low on calories, but it is still good to have on those days when you just want to eat something very delicious!
Let me know how it turns out in the comments below.
Check out these other authentic Mexican recipes:
- Authentic Mexican Picadillo Recipe
- Authentic Mexican Pozole Verde Recipe
- The Best Authentic Mexican Conchas Recipe
- Authentic Mexican Birria Recipe (3 Methods)
- Authentic Tacos de Canasta Recipe (Mexican Basket Tacos)
Mexican Spaghetti with Creamy Poblano Sauce (Espagueti Verde)
- 3 Poblano Peppers
- 3 Tomatillos
- 1/2 Bunch of Cilantro
- 1 Cup Spinach
- 3 Oz cream cheese
- 1 can Media Crema
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1/4 Onion
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- Salt to taste
- 1 package Spaghetti cooked according to package instructions
- 1.25 tbsp oil
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Start by roasting the poblano peppers in a frying pan or comal over high heat until they are almost black on the outside. Add to a sealed plastic bag and let sweat for about 10 minutes. Remove from the bag and holding the peppers under a stream of cold water, remove the skin and the seeds. Set aside
- Sautee the onion, spinach, tomatillo, and garlic with a tablespoon of oil in a hot frying pan.
- Take the ingredients from the previous step and add them to a blender with the poblano peppers, chicken stock, cilantro, crema, cream cheese, salt, and cumin. Blend until smooth.
- Add the blended sauce to a hot pan with a teaspoon of oil and bring to a boil and then lower heat to medium and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add more salt or chicken stock as needed to taste.
- Combine the sauce with the spaghetti and mix well. Add to an oven safe, top with mozzarella cheese, and bake or broil until the cheese is melted.