Inside: This Three Cheese, Meat Lasagna is a family favorite at my house. It has the perfect combination of Mozzarella, Provolone, and Parmesan cheese and uses sausage and ground beef.
When I moved to the United States in 2009, I had never tried lasagna. My husband changed that in a hurry, as his family absolutely loves lasagna and eats it on a regular basis.
The first time I tried it, it was my mother in law’s version, which you can find here on my sister in law’s website. As soon as I tried it, I was hooked! It is so delicious and it has such a great flavor. One unique thing about it, is that it does not use cottage or ricotta cheese.
My husband tells me that his mom used to put cottage cheese in it, but since him and his siblings didn’t like it, she removed it from the recipe.
Over the years, my husband and I have made a few revisions to the recipe and that is what I am going to share today. For the most part, it follows a similar recipe. It has two types of meats, multiple layers of pasta, cheese, and a delicious sauce.
One of the main variations is just how we season everything and the amount of cheese that we add! We love cheese, as you can tell from our 3 cheese chicken Parmesan recipe.
That is why we love using shredded mozzarella, provolone slices, and fresh Parmesan cheese for this recipe. We also love to top it with fresh herbs and Italian spices to give it that extra flavor that it so amazing.
How Do You Make Lasagna?
For the sauce, we start by cooking the Italian sausage and ground beef and seasoning with paprika, garlic, oregano, and more. Then we add pre-made pasta sauce, before seasoning it a little bit more and adding to the baking dish with the other ingredients.
Next, you add three pasta noodles to the baking dish and top with some of the meat mixture, parmesan cheese, and some mozzarella cheese.
After the last layer, we always add some additional parmesan cheese, and then we top it with full slices of provolone before baking.
The result is a delicious, hot, bubbly, and extra cheesy plate full of amazing lasagna. This recipe is perfect if you don’t like ricotta or cottage cheese (although you could add it if you want).
Every time that we make this, it is definitely a hit and everyone wants to know the recipe.
I hope that all of you enjoy this as much as we do!
Other Delicious Recipes:
- Three Cheese Lasagna Rollups
- Three Cheese Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- Amazing Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Copycat Recipe
- Authentic Mexican Meatballs Recipe (Albondigas Mexicanas)
- The Best Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Easy Meatball Recipe (With Ground Bison)
Three Cheese, Meat Lasagna
- 1 Package of Lasagna - cooked
- 1 Pound of Italian Sausage
- 1 Pound of Ground Beef
- 1 jar of Ragu Homestyle pasta sauce
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 8-12 slices of provolone cheese
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup of shredded Parmesan
- Paprika Salt, Pepper, Oregano, Italian Seasoning, Cumin, and Garlic Powder
- Preheat oven to 375
- Cook the lasagna according to package instructions and let cool.
- Saute the onions and garlic for about 2-3 minutes in a small amount of oil.
- Add the ground beef and Italian sausage and cook until done.
- Add all of the seasonings to taste (about 1-2 teaspoons of each - slightly more paprika).
- Add the Ragu Homestyle Pasta sauce and add more of each seasoning to taste.
- Put the first layer of pasta down in a baking dish, covering the bottom completely.
- Add a layer of the meat sauce, followed by a a few handfuls of the mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Repeat with one more layer and top with one final layer of pasta.
- If you have any meat sauce left, add a little bit, but just enough to cover the top layer of pasta.
- Add the provolone slices on top and then top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Top with fresh herbs and Italian Seasoning and bake for 20-25 minutes.