Inside: Learn how to make homemade pie crust for this delicious and easy pecan pie recipe. This is perfect for Thanksgiving or any other time of the year.
There are a lot of delicious desserts in Mexico, but if we are being honest, pies are not as common there. When I came to the United States, however, I realized quickly that there are many different varieties of pies. This becomes most evident during the holiday season, like Thanksgiving and Christmas.
As you know, there are always lots of pies at those events and they are delicious! One of my favorite pies that I discovered after moving to the United States is pecan pie. I don’t know what it is, but there is just something about it that is so desirable!
Whenever someone brings pie to a family event, I try to find the pecan pie to try first. A few weeks ago, I decided to try to make my own and it turned out pretty good, and I want to share it with you today.
What Kind Of Crust Should You Use For Pecan Pie?
I always like to know what is going into the food I make, so I prefer to make my own pie crust. That said, there are some good pre-made crusts that you can make as well which will still work great for this recipe.
For my homemade pie crust, you need to the following ingredients:
- Almond Extract
- Cold Water
It is easy to make and doesn’t take long at all. The other good thing is that you can bake it at the same time you bake the pie. This means you don’t have to bake it first and then add the filling.
How Do You Make Pecan Pie Filling?
The pecan pie filling is sweet and crunchy and absolutely delicious. To make it, you will need the following ingredients:
- Light Corn Syrup
- Brown Sugar
- Chopped Pecans
- Halved Pecans
- Almond or Vanilla Extract
- Melted Butter
This combination will then be added to the pie crust and baked for about an hour. The texture should be slightly firm, but not hard. It is very sweet, so you can reduce the amount of brown sugar if you want it less sweet.
We made this pecan pie recipe for a dinner party that we were attending the other day, and it was a hit. Everyone seemed to enjoy it and there wasn’t much leftover at the end.
This pecan pie will definitely be making an appearance at Thanksgiving dinner this year and hopefully for years to come. Let me know in the comments below how it turned out.
Check Out These Other Delicious Desserts
- Lemon Carlota
- The Best (and easiest) Flan Napolitano Recipe
- The Most Delicious and Authentic Chocoflan Recipe
- The Best Homemade Triple Chocolate Bundt Cake Recipe (No Cake Mix)
- Really Good Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe (No-Chilling Necessary)
Easy Pecan Pie Recipe
For the Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup cold butter Chopped into small pieces
For The Pecan Pie Filling
- 3 Eggs beaten
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 3 tbsp melted butter
For The Pie Crust
- Combine the flour, salt and sugar and mix well.
- Add the cold butter a little at a time and work together with the flour mixture until a course mixture is formed. You will want to make sure there are not many large clumps of butter. The texture should be sand-like.
- Add the almond extract and work into the flour/butter mixture with your hands.
- Add the water one tablespoon at a time and work together until a smooth ball of dough is formed.
- Roll the dough on a flat, floured surface. It should be roughly 10-12 inches in diameter.
- Add the pie crust to a 8 or 9 inch pie dish, and trim the edges to the desired length. You can create fancy edges or just use a fork to press the crust down into the edge of the pie dish.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
For the Pecan Pie Filling / Baking Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine the corn syrup, salt, almond extract, brown sugar and melted butter in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the eggs and continue mixing.
- Add the chopped pecans and mix well.
- Pour the mixture over the pie crust and then add a layer of the halved pecans on the top of the pie.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until slightly firm. The filling will firm up as it is refrigerated as well.
- Refrigerate at least one hour before serving.