Inside: Learn how to make these delicious pork chimichangas with salsa verde for a tex-mex meal that all of your guests will fall in love with!
Para Espanol, haz click aqui.
Chimichangas are a delicious and popular meal here in the United States that can be found in many Mexican and Tex-Mex restaurants. It is usually served with some type of salsa, guacamole, and sour cream. Because of the popularity of chimichangas, there are a a lot of different variations based on whether people prefer chicken, beef, or pork.
This recipe, of course, is popular at my house too and I love mixing different flavors and meats. Our favorite is salsa verde pork because of its amazing flavors. It is made by combining smoked pulled pork with salsa verde for a great combination of flavor and freshness.
What Are Chimichangas?
Chimichangas are basically burritos that are then deep fried. They are popular in Tex-Mex cuisine in the southern part of the United States. Many northern Mexican states also eat them, but they are not very well-known where I am from in the southern part of Mexico.
They are made with a large flour tortilla, that is filled with your favorite ingrdients such as rice, beans, meat, and some type of salsa. They are then fried and served with guacamole, sour cream, cheese, and lettuce.
What is the Origin of Chimichangas?
The origin of chimichangas is heavily debated. It is believed by many, however, that like many other recipes, this one was made by accident.
For some background on the theory below, here is a short Spanish lesson. The word “chimi” comes from the Spanish word “chamuscado”, which is a way to refer to “shredded meat”. The word “changa” is related to a curse word in Mexico that is spelled “chingar”.
As the story goes, a Mexican chef in Arizona accidentally put a burrito in the fryer one day, and when he realized his mistake he yelled “chingada!” When he noticed that the customers could hear him, and realizing he had said a word that he shouldn’t, he corrected himself and said “Chimichanga!”
Of course this story cannot be proven, but that is one of the stories that has been told about this delicious meal that we all love today.
How do you like to eat chimichangas? Let us know in the comments below!
Check Out These Other Tex-Mex Recipes!
- Tex-Mex Breakfast BLT Sandwich Recipe
- The Best Tex-Mex 7 Layer Dip Recipe
- Delicious Tex-Mex Bacon and Potato Hash Recipe
- Smoked Pork Taquitos Smothered In Salsa Verde
- Delicious Jerk Chicken Tacos with Mango Salsa
Pork Chimichangas with Salsa Verde
- Start by adding the olive oil to a frying pan and then add the smoked pork and the salsa verde. Stir well and let cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Place one tortilla on a flat surface and add 1/6 of the smoked pork, the rice, and the cheese and fold like a burrito. You can make sure it stays together by sticking it with a toothpick.
- Fry in hot oil for 1-2 minutes or until it is browned on all sides.
- Remove excess oil and serve with guacamole, sour cream, and lettuce.