Inside: Check out this delicious, flavorful, and easy to make tomato soup recipe which is an easy option for an appetizer or a meal on its own.
If you are like me, there are some nights where you just want to hunker down with a hot bowl of tomato soup. Of course you can always just open a can of soup from the store, but it is so much better for you and tastier as well if you make the soup with fresh ingredients and from scratch.
The delicious recipe I am going to share today may have a lot of ingredients, but it is easy to make and you will love it! It includes fresh herbs, fresh ripe tomatoes, garlic cloves, and other simple ingredients that will give it so much flavor.
Why you will love this homemade tomato soup more than the store-bought version
Tomato soup in a can is a pantry staple that many people have, but once you have tried this homemade version, you will not go back! Instead of having processed ingredients from the version you buy at the store, this recipe has only fresh ingredients and is made from scratch. I know it may seem daunting, but it is really easy to make.
The combination of flavors from the herbs, tomatoes, and other ingredients will have you going back for more. You can serve this as an appetizer or a side dish to go along with a tasty grilled cheese sandwich, or you can serve it as a main dish. No matter how you eat it, you will not be disappointed, and I am sure you will agree this is the best tomato soup recipe you have tried.
What ingredients do you need to make homemade tomato soup?
I mentioned above that this recipe has fresh ingredients. This is important so that you can know what you are putting in your body and so that you get the best flavors possible.
To make this recipe, start by gathering the following ingredients:
- 2 lbs of ripe, fresh tomatoes (roma tomatoes or other types of tomatoes will work)
- 1 medium onion (red)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1-2 fresh basil leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/4 stick of butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 cup heavy cream
- Mozzarella cheese
How do you make this tomato soup recipe?
Now that you have gathered the ingredients, it is time to make the recipe. It is important to wash all of the vegetables and herbs before cooking, so do that first.
Next, you will chop the tomatoes, onion, and garlic cloves and set them aside separately for a later step.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and butter until the butter just melts. Then add the chopped garlic and onions and let cook until the onions are transparent.
The next step is to add the tomatoes and to continue cooking for 2-3 minutes before adding the salt, pepper, oregano, nutmeg, bay leaves, and basil. Reduce to medium-low heat and stir well. At this point, add the brown sugar, stir well, and cook for about 2 minutes.
After 2 minutes have passed, add the balsamic vinegar and stir well. You can add additional salt and pepper if it is needed at this point. Add everything from the skillet to a blender and blend until smooth, but thick. You can also use an immersion blender at this stage, but I usually just use a traditional blender.
In the same skillet, add another 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and heat over medium heat before adding the blended mixture back to the skillet.
Add the white wine and let cook for 5 minutes.
At this point, the soup is ready, so you can serve it in a bowl topping with a little bit of heavy cream, the cheese, and the croutons.
How to use this recipe for pizza or pasta sauce.
This recipe is mainly made for soup, however you can make some slight modifications to it so that you can use it for pizza or pasta! The only modification that you need to make for this recipe is to omit the white wine. This will give it a thicker consistency which is perfect for adding to your favorite homemade pizza recipe. You can also use it as an easy sauce for pasta with meat or without meat. You will find that this adds a great flavor to any of your favorite pasta or pizza recipes, so I definitely recommend it.
When I use it for that purpose, sometimes I will add some red pepper flakes to add a bit of heat, but only if I am making it for my husband and me, since some of the kids don’t quite like spicy food yet.
Check out these other soup recipes
- Delicious Creamy Ginger and Carrot Soup Recipe
- Mexican Seafood Soup (Caldo de Camaron)
- Slow Cooker Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Butternut Squash, Sweet Potato, and Bacon Soup
- Copycat Kneaders Cheddar and Jalapeno Soup
- Mexican Pozole Recipe
This homemade tomato soup recipe is a hit around our house and is a great way to incorporate healthy ingredients into your diet. The kids love it also, especially when you serve it with tasty cheese sandwiches. I always make a large pot of this when we have it, and there is almost nothing left every time.
It has a mild, but delicious tomato flavor and is great for any time of year.
Let me know in the comments below how it turns out!
Fresh Homemade Tomato Soup Recipe
- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1-2 basil leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 stick butter
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/8 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup croutons
- Chop the tomatoes, onion, and garlic cloves and set them aside separately for a later step.2 lbs ripe tomatoes, 1 red onion, 3 garlic cloves
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and butter until the butter just melts. Then add the chopped garlic and onions and let cook until the onions are transparent.1/4 stick butter, 1 tbsp olive oil
- The next step is to add the tomatoes and to continue cooking for 2-3 minutes before adding the salt, pepper, oregano, nutmeg, bay leaves, and basil. Reduce to medium-low heat and stir well. At this point, add the brown sugar, stir well, and cook for about 2 minutes.1-2 basil leaves, 2 bay leaves, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp ground nutmeg, 1 tbsp brown sugar, salt, pepper
- After 2 minutes have passed, add the balsamic vinegar and stir well. You can add additional salt and pepper if it is needed at this point. Add everything from the skillet to a blender and blend until smooth, but thick. You can also use an immersion blender at this stage, but I usually just use a traditional blender.1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- In the same skillet, add another 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and heat over medium heat before adding the blended mixture back to the skillet.1 tbsp olive oil
- Add the white wine and let cook for 5 minutes.1/2 cup white wine
- Serve with cream, mozzarella cheese, and croutons1/8 cup heavy cream, 1/4 cup croutons, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese