Inside: Keep reading to find out how to make this delicious Mexican-style seafood soup featuring delicious shrimp and crab with tasty spices.
This post was sponsored by Cangshan Cutlery. All opinions are my own.
In Mexico, soups are very popular year-round. Although Mexico may be more popular around the world for things like tacos, quesadillas, tostadas, and more, it’s soups are delicious as well and are definitely worth trying!
Depending on the region in Mexico, different soups are more popular. I grew up in a coastal state, so soups with seafood, like shrimp, crab and more are very common. My husband isn’t a huge fan of seafood, so I don’t make it very often. That said, my mom is in town visiting this week, so I just had to make some!
In Mexico, you can find seafood soup that has crab, shrimp, octopus, and more. You can also find soups, like the one I am sharing today, that are filled just with shrimp and crab. This is one of my favorites and it turned out just as good as I had expected.
How do you make Mexican Seafood Soup (caldo de camaron)?
To make this delicious seafood soup, you will need to do a lot of cutting. That is because you need to cut up some of the seafood and also the veggies that go into the soup.
That is why it is important to have a great set of knives. I recently received a brand new set of knives from Cangshan Cutlery. I went with the S1 series, which includes 17 knives that are absolutely gorgeous and look great in my kitchen. They are made from high quality German Steel and come with a stunning solid walnut wood block. You can buy this set here.
As soon as I opened the box, I knew that these knives were going to be amazing. They feel solid and it is clear that they are made to last. As you can see in these pictures, the white handles look awesome too!
Cangshan has many different “series” of knives, and you can buy them one by one or in larger sets.
I also got a solid walnut cutting board to go with the set and it, like the knives is top quality and perfect for my kitchen. You can choose the size you want and buy the cutting board here.
These knives are a perfect choice for this recipe to make sure you get good cuts on all of the ingredients. You will need to cut carrots, potatoes, and celery into small pieces to add to the broth with the shrimp and crab.
The soup is very flavorful, and if you like seafood, you are sure to enjoy it!
Try these other Mexican soup recipes
- Authentic Mexican Pozole Verde Recipe
- Mexican Pozole Recipe
- Authentic Sopa de Fideo Recipe
- Mexican Birria Recipe (3 Methods)
- Authentic Mole De Olla Recipe (Mexican Beef Soup)
- Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup
Let me know in the comments below what you think of this soup and how it turned out for you!
Mexican Seafood Soup (Caldo de Camaron)
- 1 Lb Shrimp
- 1 Lb Crab Legs You can use dried shrimp instead if you can find it
- 2 Carrots Chopped
- 1 Large Potato Chopped
- 2 Sticks Celery Chopped
- 5 Roma Tomatoes Cut into quarters
- 5 Cloves Garlic
- 4 Peppercorns
- 1/2 Onion Sliced
- 2 Dried Ancho Chiles
- 1 Dried Guajillo Chile
- 1/2 Tbsp Ground Cumin
- Salt To Taste
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 9 Cups Water
- Remove the seeds and stems from the dried chiles and add to a small pot with about 1 cup of water and bring to a boil for 8 minutes.
- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan and then add the onion and the garlic and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the peppercorns and continue sauteing for 5 minutes.
- Add the chiles that have been boiled and then add 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil, let simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the above ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Strain and set aside the resulting sauce.
- In a large stockpot, add 8 cups of water with salt and cumin. Bring to a boil and add the carrots and cook for 10 minutes. Add the potatoes and continue cooking for 10 minutes longer.
- Add the sauce from above, the crab legs and cook for 15 minutes longer.
- Add the shrimp and the celery and cook for 15-20 minutes. Add additional salt to taste.
- Enjoy with limes and tortillas.
Wednesday 22nd of March 2023
I forgot to mention that I didn’t have crab legs, but I did have lobster so I substituted and also added a bag of seafood mix. I will be making many more times for sure
Wednesday 22nd of March 2023
Delicious…it was approved. I was told several times while he was eating how really good it was. He is from Vera Cruz!