Inside: Learn how to make a delicious homemade baked mac and cheese recipe with a tasty Mexican twist.
One type of food that I can honestly say I never tried before moving to the United States is mac and cheese. It just simply is not popular or widely available in Mexico. When I got here, I was hesitant to try it, especially when it came from a box!
However, mac and cheese is something that my kids and husband really like, so I have eaten it over the years as well. My favorite types of mac and cheese are definitely homemade versions that you make with a creamy cheese sauce and then bake in the oven.
I have tried a few different versions over the past few years, and some have been better than others. Today, I want to share with all of you my own version, that includes a Mexican twist to give it some extra flavor and make it my own. The twist is chorizo!
Chorizo is a delicious Mexican-style sausage and is found in many recipes in Mexico. For example, you can combine it with potatoes to make delicious chorizo and potato tacos. It is a versatile ingredient that adds flavor to any recipe.
How do you make baked mac and cheese?
To make a delicious baked mac and cheese, you will want to start by cooking the macaroni. You will then drain it and set it aside. You also need to have a tasty creamy cheese sauce that you can then combine with the macaroni. For this recipe, I included heavy whipping cream, cheddar and mozzarella cheese, and spices. The result was a delicious cheese sauce.
I then added the macaroni and the chorizo and let it cook for a while before adding all of that to an oven-safe dish. My favorite way to make this is to make layers. Do this by adding some of the macaroni and cheese mix, topping it with shredded cheese and then adding additional layers. I topped it with more cheese and bread crumbs and then baked it in the over until it was golden brown.
My kids and husband are big mac and cheese fans, so when I made this they were thrilled. They all said it was the best mac and cheese they had tried and they just had to come back for more.
Even if you are not a big fan of mac and cheese, I hope you will try this and that it will change your mind. Let me know in the comments below how it turns out!
Check out these other pasta dishes
- Delicious Italian Shrimp Pasta Recipe
- Creamy Avocado-Basil Pasta
- The Best Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Three Cheese Meat Lasagna Recipe
- Pasta con Pollo en Salsa de Mantequilla y limón
Mexican-Style Baked Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb Macaroni Pasta
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 4 Cups Milk
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 5 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 lb Mexican Chorizo
- 1/2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- Cook the macaroni according to the package instructions.
- In a large pot, melt the butter of medium heat.
- Add the flour and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the milk, salt, and garlic powder and stir well.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly and then reduce the heat.
- Simmer for 2-4 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Stir in 4 cups of the shredded cheddar cheese until melted.
- Add the cooked macaroni and mix well.
- Cook the Mexican chorizo separately and add to the macaroni and cheese mixture.
- Add a layer of the mac and cheese mix to an oven safe dish, and top with half of the mozzarella cheese. Continue with another layer of mac and cheese and top with remaining mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 375 degree fahrenheit for 30 - 40 minutes.