Inside: Keep reading to find out how you can make a delicious, homemade coleslaw (or cole slaw) recipe in less than 15 minutes. *Looking for Apple Slaw? Click Here*
I have to admit that I had never eaten coleslaw before coming to the United States. In Mexico, there are some similar recipes, like this Jicama and Cucumber Slaw with Sweet and Spicy Dressing, but even that is a bit different than your traditional American cole slaw.
The first time I saw it, I was a little bit hesitant to try it, because it was different from anything I had tried before. That said, after one bite, I realized why coleslaw is so popular!
I absolutely love the creaminess of the sauce, combined with the crunchiness of the veggies. Of course, I had to come up with my own version after trying a few and that is what I am going to share today.
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Coleslaw?
Cole slaw is really a pretty simple recipe to make. You will need to have the following ingredients:
- Shredded Carrots and Cabbage (I almost always buy the pre-shredded bags from the store to save time);
- Homemade Coleslaw dressing (recipe below)
You can also mix it up a bit by making apple slaw instead – check out the recipe here.
How Do You Make Coleslaw?
As you saw above, you can make coleslaw with only a few simple ingredients. Making it is just as simple! All you have to do is add the shredded cabbage and carrots to a large bowl, and then slowly add the dressing, mixing it as you go.
Some people like their coleslaw to be very saturated with the dressing. Since the cabbage and carrots are pretty crunchy, they can handle quite a bit of sauce. Other people like to go a bit easy on the dressing, and that is fine as well. That is why I suggest that you add just a little bit of dressing at a time so that you can ensure that it has the perfect amount for your individual tastes.
What Can You Serve Coleslaw With?
One of the reasons that cole slaw is so popular is that it is easy to make and is a great side dish. I personally like to serve it with fried chicken and grilled or smoked meats like this brisket. It also goes great as a side dish for burgers and chicken sandwiches.
That said, by far, my favorite way to serve this is as part of a smoked pulled pork sandwich. The flavors complement each other perfectly, and it makes for a perfect bite. Check out our recipe for smoked pulled pork and you will see what I mean!
No matter how you serve your coleslaw, you can be certain that it will be popular if you follow this recipe.
Let me know in the comments below how it turned out!
Other Delicious Side Dishes That You Should Try
- Extra Crispy Homemade Onion Rings
- Extra Crispy Chorizo Potato Balls (Papas Rellenas)
- Authentic Mexican Guacamole
- Authentic Mexican Salsa Verde
- Bacon and Garlic Asparagus
- Brown Sugar, Bacon Wrapped Smokies
- How To Make The Best Extra Crispy, Deep Fried Pickles
- 4 Cups Shredded Cabbage and Carrot Mix (Approximately two 14 oz bags of pre-shredded coleslaw mix)
- 3/4 Cup Mayonnaise
- 4 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Lime (juice)
- 2 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp Black Pepper (can add more or less depending on individual tastes)
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the shredded cabbage and carrots in a medium-sized bowl until completely integrated.
- Add the Shredded Cabbage and Carrot mix to a large bowl and add the dressing made in the first step a little bit at a time, stirring as you go.
- Once you have added the desired amount of the dressing, cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours (technically, you can eat it right away, but it is better served cold)
Saturday 23rd of January 2021
This is my go-to recipe for when I make coleslaw! I don’t even like eating other coleslaws, because nothing is comparable to this one! My kids even love it! It’s perfect with pulled pork sandwiches!
Thursday 14th of January 2021
I make a good coleslaw: I chopped some cabbage very fine, add a lot of onions, carrots chopped very fine, relish, miracle whip , a bit of sugar and a little water, this make the best coleslaw ever. My company can’t get enough of it. There is never anything left in the bowl, after lunch or dinner. I make a huge bowl full. It’s even better the next day.
Saturday 10th of October 2020
This is my go to coleslaw recipe. I don’t care for heat so I just skip the red pepper flakes. And sometimes use broccoli slaw instead of cabbage. So yummy, thanks for sharing!!
Wednesday 30th of September 2020
I love coleslaw so chose this recipe because 1 - I had all the ingredients, 2 - very easy to make, 3 - looked appetizing. The only drawback I have on this was I think it's to sweet. I would cut the sugar to 3 tablespoons. Will definitely make again. Thank you
Friday 3rd of July 2020
Love this recipe I added grated carrots and green onion. Made this twice and my family loves it.