Inside: Find out how to make these delicious chicken roll ups, that are wrapped in bacon, stuffed with cheese, and served with a delicious cream sauce. It is perfect for any night and everyone will be impressed.
Being at home so much in the past few months has meant coming up with lots of new recipes to keep everything interesting. I always love trying out different types of cuisine and also taking ideas and adding my own twist. A couple of days ago I had some chicken, bacon and mushrooms, and decided to come up with something new. The result was this delicious recipe for cheesy, bacon-wrapped chicken roll ups in a creamy mushroom sauce.
A couple of my boys are pretty picky eaters, and let me tell you, they all loved this! The flavors went so well together and there were no leftovers.
How to make chicken roll-ups
Chicken rollups are so easy to make and you can change it to fit your specific tastes. For the best results, you will want to butterfly your chicken breasts to get very thin pieces that can roll easily and that won’t take a long time to cook. The basic recipe consists of laying out the chicken breasts, adding fillings, and then rolling it up.
For this version, I stuffed the chicken with cheese and ham, rolled it up, and then wrapped it in a piece of bacon. Of course bacon makes everything better, so I thought it was a nice touch!
I then seared the chicken rollups before baking in the oven. When they came out, I served them with a creamy and flavorful mushroom sauce that complimented the flavors perfectly.
What to serve with chicken rollups
This recipe makes for a great meal all by itself, but there are a lot of tasty side dishes that can pair well with it. I served it the first time with some seasonal veggies and that was great.
Here are some other options for side dishes and beverages:
- Easy and Delicious Rice Pilaf Recipe
- Armenian Rice
- The Best Homemade Potato Salad Recipe
- The Best Homemade Coleslaw Recipe (Easy Too!)
- Mexican Style Baked Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Hibiscus Tea Recipe (Agua de Jamaica)
- Authentic Mexican Horchata That You Can Make At Home
Like I said, my family loved this and I hope yours will too. Let me know in the comments below how it turned out.
Cheesy, Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Roll Ups
For the Chicken Roll Ups
- 1 lb thinly sliced chicken breasts
- 1/2 lb sliced turkey breast
- 8 oz provolone or mozzarella cheese slices
- Salt, pepper, and cumin to taste
For the Mushroom Sauce
- 1/2 Onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cup fresh or canned mushrooms if canned, drain first
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Chicken Roll Ups
- Season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and cumin to taste.
- Lay a slice of the turkey and cheese on each piece of chicken and roll up like you would a burrito. You can place a toothpick through each roll up to prevent them from unrolling.
- Sear the chicken roll ups with 2 tablespoons of oil, until browned on all sides. Set aside
- In the same pan, sautee the unions, garlic, and mushrooms until cooked through.
- Add the cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, chicken stock, and a third of the mushroom mixture from above to a blender and blend well.
- Add the cream sauce made in the previous step back to the pan with the chicken roll ups and the remainder of the mushroom mixture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and let cook over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes before serving.