Inside: Keep reading to find out how to make a delicious version of rice pilaf that works great as a side dish or a meal in itself.
In Mexico, rice is a staple dish that is served very often. Usually, you will find white rice or red rice, sometimes referred to as spanish rice. In any case, it is an important part of Mexican cuisine and is even incorporated in some beverages like horchata!
What is Rice Pilaf?
One type of rice that isn’t as common in Mexico, but that I have grown to enjoy is rice pilaf. Rice pilaf is made by cooking the rice in a delicious broth, and then adding vegetables and other seasonings. The result is a delicious side dish that goes well with lots of main dishes.
This is different from a standard white rice, which you generally cook just with water and basic seasonings.
Rice pilaf has become a common side dish at our house, and my kids and husband love it. We serve it with some of our favorite meals such as the following:
- Sheet Pan Flank Steak with Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- Easy Chicken Piccata Recipe with Lemon
- Homemade Coconut Chicken Curry Recipe
- The Most Delicious Beef Stir Fry Recipe
- Authentic Mexican Carne Asada
How do you make Rice Pilaf?
To make this version of rice pilaf, you will start by sauteing the onions, celery and garlic in butter and olive oil. You will then add the rice and cook for a few minutes before adding the parsley, salt chicken stock and some water. Once the rice is cooked, you can finish it off by adding some parmesan cheese.
You can also make this in an instant pot if you have one. Just follow the same instructions, but do it all in the instant pot and use the rice setting. I bet it would turn out amazing as well!
This recipe is so delicious and we really enjoy it whenever we make it.
I hope that you enjoy this recipe! Let me know in the comment below how it turns out.
Check out these other delicious side dishes!
- Amazing Apple Slaw Recipe
- The Best Homemade Coleslaw Recipe (Easy Too!)
- Easy Homemade Cornbread Recipe
- The Best Homemade Potato Salad Recipe
- Bacon and Garlic Asparagus
- Extra Crispy Chorizo Potato Balls (Papas Rellenas)
Easy and Delicious Rice Pilaf Recipe
- 1 1/2 Cup White Rice
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Celery Stick Chopped
- 1/4 White Onion Finely Chopped
- 2 1/2 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Cloves Garlic Finely Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Parsley Chopped
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese Optional
- Add the butter and olive oil to a large frying pan and heat over medium heat, and then saute the onions and celery for about 30 seconds.
- Add the garlic and and cook for one additional minute.
- Add the rice and saute until it is slightly browned.
- Add the parsley, salt, chicken stock and water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium.
- Let boil for about 5 minutes.
- Cover and let cook for about 15-20 minutes of medium-low or until the rice is cooked.
- Let rest for about 10 minutes more after removing from the heat and fold in a little bit of parmesan cheese if desired.